I have been working at home for over 6 years now and I have picked up a few tips along the way to work at a high productivity level – we all work differently so use these as a pick and mix.
- Remember your school time-table – manage your day like that, plan it by the half – hour or an hour.
- We have different times when we are in the flow of work, find a time which works best for you, and complete your work that requires the highest concentration levels at that time. This could be at 9.00 a.m., 11.00 a.m. or 2.00 p.m.
- Put your phone in another room so you have to get up and answer it, it also reduces distraction from social media.
- Set up WhatsApp groups or similar with people in your network who motivate you, you could pick a time to be online with them, share positive messages and help each other. I have 2 groups who have supported me now for a number of years and we have become great friends as a results!
- When planning your online meetings have a time limit, set an objective at the beginning of each meeting, be mindful of the counter on the screen and finish on time, having achieved your objective.
- When you take a break – put some movement into that break, whether it is a brisk walk, dancing to music (you are at home remember!), stretching, or use YouTube for free online yoga/pilates sessions.
- Have a dedicated office space in your own home – you can now really personalise your work area.
On a final note, be safe and take care at this unprecedented time which is impacting each and everyone of us all on a global scale.